Join Compass Vermont's free news email list.  

Follow us on Twitter @CompassVermont.Com.


Montpelier, Vt. – Vermont has received $49 million in Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) funding this year, after much work in Washington by the Green Mountain State's federal delegation. 

The funding will provide more assistance for improving the energy efficiency of homes, including furnace repairs and replacements, and will increase the number of gallons of fuel or cords of wood one household can receive for the winter months.   

The funding will help more than 18,000 Vermont households. Here is what is available and how to apply for the assistance. 

What help is available?

If you're eligible, Crisis Fuel Assistance may help you to:

  • Purchase the primary source of your heat (e.g., electricity, kerosene, natural gas, oil, propane, or wood)
  • Purchase electricity if it's required to run your heating system
  • Have your furnace repaired or replaced
  • Negotiate payment plans
  • Work with your electric or natural gas company to prevent disconnection.

When do I apply?

  • For households that heat with bulk fuels (e.g., oil, kerosene, propane, wood, pellets, and coal), you can apply to start the last Monday in November to the second Friday in April.
  • For households that heat with metered fuels (e.g., natural gas, electric or metered propane service), you can apply to start the last Monday in November to the last regular working day in April.

Do not wait until you have run out of fuel to apply, as fuel dealers often charge a special trip fee for emergency deliveries. 

Applicants must apply in person.

You must apply in person at your local Community Action Agency. Below is a list of locations.  

BROC - Community Action in Southwestern Vermont

45 Union Street, Rutland, VT 05701

(802) 775-0878 or 1-800-717-2762

  • Bennington: (802) 447-7515

Capstone Community Action (Central Vermont)

20 Gable Place, Barre, VT 05641

(802) 479-1053 or 1-800-639-1053

  • Bradford: (802) 222-5419
  • Morrisville: 1-800-639-8710 or (802) 888-7993
  • Randolph: 1-800-846-9506 or (802) 728-9506

Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO)

255 South Champlain Street, Burlington, VT 05402

(802) 862-2771 or 1-800-287-7971

  • Addison Community Action: (802) 388-2285
  • Chittenden Community Action: (802) 863-6248
  • Franklin / Grand Isle Community Action: (802) 527-7392

Northeast Kingdom Community Action (NEKCA)

70 Main Street, Newport, VT 05855-5110

(802) 334-7316 

  • Canaan: (802) 266-7134
  • Island Pond: (802) 723-5276
  • St. Johnsbury: (802) 748-6040

Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA)

91 Buck Drive, Westminster, VT 05158

(802) 722-4575 or 1-800-464-9951

  • Brattleboro: (802) 254-2795
  • Springfield: (802) 885-6153
  • White River Junction: (802) 295-5215